Ilta-Sanomi readers share again their fondest cabin memories.
Ilta-sanomi readers say that it really hurts and happens in Finnish summer cottages.
Again, we choose stories that are vivid, colorful lives at their best – and at their worst.
A gang barged into the yard at exactly the wrong time
The cabin is a place of peace for many people, but if the peace is disturbed, the atmosphere really gets in the way, say readers.
– I found a friend in the cottage from Tinder. I am a divorced old man. In the evening, Amorki started liking it and we got to taste the kiss. In the middle of a walk a car entered the yard. From there the sister’s new extended family fell apart. The Tinder woman was amazed at the changed situation. Then I took her back to the railway station. During my visit, Cisco’s new extended family had settled into the cabin in perfect condition. You smelled so strong that I opened a bottle of hard liquor and drank at least half of it. I sat in the rocking chair in the yard, smoked and showed a sour face to my sister’s family. Sometimes, to the surprise of guests, think that a lone camper needs nothing but peace.
Anoni unexpectedly came to our cottage. He was pulling some kind of unusual wagon behind his car. I didn’t pick it up. I told you to go to our summer house on the lower level. The wife had just made cinnamon bread, so we got some fresh wheat with coffee. Then a rattle and a rumble were heard from the yard. I looked outside the window. Wasn’t there a neighing horse in the yard of the hut, galloping towards the neighboring barley fields? Coffee was not drunk when we went horse hunting. Well, Pole, who had run away, got down from the cart and sat down. There, on the floor of the field, he voluntarily surrendered himself to be carried away by Uncle, who was still chewing on the burnt grain remaining in the peat. Later, I went to the farmer to say that we will compensate for the crop damage in those areas. It wasn’t about the money. We came out of that accident laughing.
When I ordered the toilets to be emptied, they immediately left.
– I thought it was best not to say where the cabin is. This ploy also failed when half-acquaintances somehow managed to trace my husband’s phone. They appeared in the hut and lived as if they were their own. When I ordered the toilets to be emptied, they immediately left. I sent him the bill for food and drink, but it was not paid and since then he has not appeared in the cabin. Now only those whom we invite will come.
“She just said, ‘Help, help'”
Of course, not all relatives suddenly come to visit. In this case, the surprise came straight from the water.
– We were sitting outside in the evening when a boat came ashore, from which we heard muffled voices. The first thing that came to my mind was that a group of junkies were about to disembark, but a middle-aged man came ashore from the boat, who came in the direction of the cabin, shouting indistinctly. When we went to meet the shore, we immediately saw that the man was not drunk. He could not speak clearly, but only said “help, help”. After this he fell on his knees.
He said he was near the beach when he felt bad. He was upset and went towards our friends’ cabin.
Then the medical officer of the group, i.e. a person trained as a nurse, said that the alcohol did not smell. When she did not get any response from the man whether he was fine or not, we called for an ambulance. It arrived surprisingly quick. Paramedics said it was most likely a heart attack. He thanked us for our prompt action.
Later the same man came to the cabin and thanked him for saving his life. He said he was near the beach when he felt bad. He was upset and went towards our friends’ cabin. It was found in the hospital that he had a heart problem.
“I was already embarrassed”
Cabin owls, aka uninvited guests who ask for too many favors, are an abomination to many campers. A reader recalls her cottage seagull experience with regret, even though it’s been a while since the trouble.
– As a young girl, I stuttered myself. My then husband lured me to his relatives’ cabin. They often said that the hut could be borrowed. So we reached there, and there the hosts spent the last day of their vacation. He said of course we could borrow the cabin and asked when we needed it. It was already embarrassing when the guy said that now immediately.
After this they went away feeling ashamed. As a thank you, we gave a welcome bottle the size of a pocket mat. We spent a few days in the cottage. I hope we also had our own linens, I don’t remember now.
For some campers, surprise guests are just a pleasant surprise.
– The best part was that my recently divorced uncle showed up at our cottage unannounced. He asked to sleep in the sauna room for a week or two until he could find a room. Eno brought his own bedding and at least a week’s supply of food, and what’s best, two full gas bottles! He knew we didn’t have electricity, and the refrigerator, stove and lights ran on gas. I didn’t really mind his “cottage logging”.
A reader is concerned whether she will be considered a cottage seagull, even though she has taken care of the new one, sometimes too much.
– We got invited to my relative’s cabin and thanked him for the invitation. The invitation was for a week, but we agreed that two days would suit us. Some relatives also came to the cottage. Nice to meet you after a long time.
We went to the store and I called the host asking what to bring. We have many essential items to buy. We arrived with our purchases, and all purchases are shared. Basically, we ate the food that we bought with the whole group. It was fun there, but no one asked if they could participate by paying something from our purchases.
It will probably be years before we see these relatives again, so I hope they enjoy our company too. I hope at least they don’t talk about us as cottage gals.
“A lock appeared on the door”
A variety of incidents also take place in the cabin, some of which you may later remember with a smile on your face, some of which you may not.
– Appiuko hated emptying the collection container in the cabin wood. In the absence of the neighbor, the matter was settled by going to his shop. As you might expect, it happened once that the neighbors came while the father-in-law was in the barn with his needs. After that the door of the neighboring shop was seen locked.
I was startled and roared. Neighbors, that’s where it started.
– My wife and I went to the cottage. The man had gone for a walk, and I was left alone in the cabin. From Tukio’s end, I went to warm up the sauna in the yard, when I saw a gun barrel behind the corner of the sauna. I was startled and roared. Neighbors, that’s where it started. Must be chasing his partridges. We picked up several dozen of them. All disappeared during the fall.
The story was first published on September 11, 2022.